I haven't flown very much, but I enjoy it when I get to. It's always an adventure.
I drove to the Park 'N Jet and tried to park where the ticket they gave me said to park, but of course there was no space. So I got as close as I could get and got out to wait for the shuttle. I made it to the airport, through security and check-in and settled down to wait. My flight took off at 1:40 pm and I spent the rest of the day travelling. I sat next to a very stylish woman on the first flight who I found out is a very famous Scrapbook Designer. Too bad I don't scrapbook. I also wish I remembered her name. Then I had a layover in Phoenix where I ate my packed 'dinner' and on to the second flight.
After making a 'friend' on the first flight, I got a little daring and was more chatty with my fellow passengers on the second flight than I might otherwise have been I ended up having a nice chat with a girl and she gave me some recommendations on restaurants in the area.
When I finally got to Washington D.C it was late (after 10 pm) and dark so this is the best picture I could get. K was starting to worry that I'd gotten on the wrong plane by the time I got out toward the luggage area, it seemed like I was the last one off the plane. The walk from the gate was SOOOO long.
We had a moment where I couldn't find my luggage because it was a new suitcase and I forgot what it looked like (I know, I know, I should have tied a ribbon on it or something). But we found it and headed out to the Metro. We rode the Metro to Alexandria and then walked over to the Residence Inn where K had been living for the past week. We got online to do a video call and say goodnight to the boys then headed to bed.
K still had one more day of class so he got up early and I got to sleep in. He did wake me up to go down for breakfast, then I went back to sleep. Then next thing I knew he was back for lunch and waking me up again. We walked over to Subway and he went back to class and I went back to the hotel. I worked out in the gym for awhile and finally got ready for the day just in time for K to come back for us to start our sightseeing.
Alexandria is one of those beautiful old cities with cobblestone streets...
Beautiful buildings...
Fantastic Entryways....
and old things you can sit on for pictures.
We spent a few wonderful hours walking around and enjoying the beautiful weather and the view of the harbor.
We spent some time walking around The Torpedo Factory, which is a sort of Art Studio/Gallery/Store. Lots of local artists can get a space to work and display and sell their art, and the public can walk through and view it for free. Oh, and it used to be a torpedo factory. I forget the details.
We have a good friend who lives and works in the DC area and we had plans to meet him for dinner. On our way we stopped and visited the super cute Visitor Center.
And then we waited in the picturesque town square for Dave to show up.
We picked our restaurant based on name only: The Bilbo Baggins Cafe.
After dinner we went with Dave to his new place. He is getting married next week and we are excited for him. Not as excited as he is though. :) He lent us his car and gave us directions so we could go out to the Temple and try to do a session.
We got in the car and drove, and drove, and drove. We tried to follow the directions but there are NO SIGNS on the streets. We spent two hours just trying to find the Temple. Needless to say, we didn't make a session. We did get some pictures outside the temple though.
I never knew how HUGE the DC Temple is! It's absolutely awe-inspiring and beautiful. I always thought it was white, too. It's not.
After our photography session, we were able to find our way back to Dave's house and had just enough time for one more photo op before we went back to the hotel to crash for the night.
One of the things I love about facebook and email is how easy it makes it to stay in touch with friends you might otherwise lose track of. Thanks for taking some time to hang out with us Dave.
No comments:
Post a Comment