Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Best December Halloween Birthday Party Ever!

G turned 4 on the 4th this year.
In honor of this marvelous occasion, his primary teacher 'Sister D' came by and gave him his very own fancy cupcake.



Which he proceeded to eat only the frosting of.

We were lucky enough to have my mom come up and spend the weekend with us. She came up on his birthday and gave him his very own Curious George bath towel which she made herself. I am often in awe of the fabulous things she can sew. G loves it!



His parents took the easy road and bought him a movie. Guaranteed hit present. The fact that the movie was 'Micky's House of Villains' was no coincidence cause have I mentioned that my son is absolutely obsessed with Halloween?


It should be no surprise then that G had a Halloween themed birthday party. I know some people put up Christmas decorations right after Thanksgiving, but we just put Halloween up again (um, yes, I had already taken them down.) I don't have a picture of just the decorations themselves, but G was positively bouncing off the walls. We had pumpkin garlands, spooky houses, ghosts and bats hanging off the ceiling.


When the guests arrived, I pulled out my bin of costumes and we played dress up. I know some people collect stamps or other such nonsense, but I love buying Halloween costumes when they go on clearance. Maybe G comes by his obsession genetically...

After picking costumes (G chose Iron Man) we played a game of 'Monster Mash'. Sort of like musical chairs but we danced around (to the song Monster Mash, of course) and when the music stopped we jumped on some pictures of monsters on the floor and mashed them!

When we were tired of Monster Mash, we played a game of 'Pin the Face on the Jack 'O Lantern.


Then we moved outside for the pinata that the boys and I made together. By this time it had started snowing, so most of the kids had coats on and we let them each have one turn to hit the pinata, then K broke it open so we didn't all freeze to death. Apparently I make a pretty tough pinata. When the kids had grabbed all the loot (Yay for 90% off Halloween stuff...I'm all for having holidays out of order) we came back inside and started decorating balloons with monster faces.

I also had a pumpkin magnet craft that didn't go as well as I'd hoped because you had to use glue to put really small face pieces on sort of small pumpkins. Not the most well thought out plan, since we are talking about eleven 3-4 year olds and one 18 month old who thinks he can do whatever the big kids are doing.
I also need to mention, that besides my mom actually being there, we had K's parents there via web-cam. Every once in awhile the kids would run up to the computer and say 'Hi Grandma and Grandpa!" Not just G and H, but all of the kids. It was pretty cute.

What would a party be without food? Not much of a party. To go along with our Halloween theme, we had Green 'Slime' punch...



Bone bread sticks with 'blood' (marinara) dipping sauce...



Jack 'O Lantern and Mummy cupcakes...

and Monster grins.
The kids liked the apples, but not so much the almond teeth.


Here's a bunch of little ghoulies eating snacks.

And of course we can't forget...Present time! G's friends were very kind to him and he was gifted some very fun things.

He really did love it all, but I think I caught him mid-smile in this picture.

After the party was over, G's cousin Tane stayed to play awhile while my mom and sister went to try out the new WinCo that just opened down the street. They would recommend NOT going on a Saturday if you can help it.

All in all I think the party was a success. G was so excited to give out the goody bags that he and I put together. He really wanted to make sure all of his friends got something. I know he loved the presents, but I think he loved the party a little bit more. He is a kid who just adores anticipation and it was so fun for me to see how much he enjoyed every bit of this party, from the planning and giving out invitations to the games and food. I had never planned on throwing a party for my kids until they got older, but I'm glad we did. I think it's something we will all remember for a long time. Except maybe H.

No comments: