Friday, November 13, 2009

The Elusive Fuse

When I convinced Sarah to start a blog for our family, I said that I would occasionally post a few entries. So a year and a half later, I am posting my first ever blog entry.

Several months ago the clock, radio and cigarette lighter in my car all quit at exactly the same time. I assumed that it was just a simple blown fuse. And I was sort of right. I popped the hood and checked the fuses, everything checked out fine.

I was still not worried, I figured it must be in the fuse box inside the car, and all I would have to do would be to swap the blown fuse for a new one. And I was sort of right. After 10 minutes of looking in vain for the other fuse box, I gave up and borrowed my wife's iPod.

Off and on over the past months I have consulted my manual and a dozen websites and online forums without any real success. Tonight I decided that I had had enough and I was going to find the elusive fuse panel.



Nope, not in there.



There it is behind the dash panel under the steering wheel! I actually had to remove two panels to get to it.

A quick trip to WallyWorld and a box of overpriced fuses later, my stereo works again. Another 15 minutes putting it all back together and my car is like new again.



Except that it's filthy and has almost 200,000 miles.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Way to be a persistent and successful handyman!

Anonymous said...

You should have called me on this one, Kyle. I've had the same problem with every Toyota I've owned going back to 1978 or so. All Toys have that panel under the steering wheel and they all seem to run the same options on the same fuse. Oh well, Live and learn. At least you found it in one sitting so to speak. I on the other hand tore my dash apart three times!!!

Roxy said...

i think sam will get a kick out of this story! i'll make sure he sees it :)

Diane D. said...

Wow, I'm impressed...that you did a post and on your story. :-)